Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"The Darkest Minds" by Alexandra Bracken

So I'm starting off my first official posting of Chellie's Catch That Book Corner. I worked as a volunteer at BEA 2012 last week and was inspired to start off this blog. I was able to get my hands on some really great books making their debut this year and I thought why not share my thoughts on these books? what have I got to lose. In creating this blog I hope to share with you my reviews on books I've read and hopefully generate a buzz to get these authors some well deserved attention. Most importantly, I hope to get people excited for some new reads throughout the seasons, that's always a good thing!

So my first review goes to the amazing Alexandra Bracken and her YA dystopian tale titled, "The Darkest Minds". Now let me tell you that the line for Ms. Bracken's book was quite the long one at the BEA this year. Serving as a line monitor I should definitely know and I can definitely see why this is the case.

Bracken's "The Darkest Minds" weaves a tale of love, hope, and friendship amidst a world of darkness and despair. Ruby, the protagonist lives in a world where children around her have died from a mysterious disease called IAAN. Other children who have survived are considered freaks or "dangerous ones"  and are sent to "rehabilitation camps" by the government. Ruby being one of these "dangerous ones" has to take control and fight for her life after escaping the brutal camp she had been sent to. Along her journey she encounters a group of kids she creates a bond with and soon she is not just fighting for her life but theirs, especially that of the group's leader Liam.

Alexandra Bracken brings these this story to life with such vividness that I cannot escape the world she creates or the characters she has introduced me to. I have created a bond with Ruby and her friends in such a way that long after I've put the book down I've wondered about them. The characterization is so on point that I feel feel the emotions that the characters go through, their guilt, their sadness, their happiness, as if it were my very own.

Chubs, Zu, and Liam are the kind of people I would want to encounter if I were Ruby. Bracken creates a group of friends who love each other fiercely and are loyal to each other regardless the circumstance. They help to propel the story forward in a way that kept me invested all the way to the very end.

There are gruesome detailed scenes throughout the story but without them I don't think the book would have had the effect it had on me or would have allowed me to truly connect with the suffering that Ruby, Liam, Chubs, and Zu felt. The plot never slowed and the build-up was consistent throughout. Having an ARC, I figured the book would have some errors but they weren't distracting in the least. As I got further into the book the more my questions got answered and I loved that about it. Bracken has a way with keeping you guessing and revealing answers to you that keep you turning the page. 

If your looking for a good read this winter pick up this book. If you have fans of dystopian tales I suggest passing this book along as a gift. It's dark but infused with the bright light of hope, perseverance, love, and friendship. Plus the end will have you up out of your seat. The book's pub date isn't until December of 2012, so make sure to put this on your wish list for the winter season because it definitely is a must read.

Until then fellow bloggers

Happy Reading!

Chellie

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be looking to download this one! I love dystopian novels and, as a retired high school English teacher, I'm always looking for YA novels. Also, my fifteen-year-old niece is hooked on reading and I'll be able to share it with her. Thanks for this well-written review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you'll be downloading the novel. It is definitely worth the read and I think your fifteen year old niece will love it. I'm 23 and I've been raving about this book. I've already let a friend borrow it! I'll be reviewing a bunch of YA novels so just stop by and check every now and then. Thank you for the compliment on my review, just giving the author what they deserve!

    P.S : I'll be checking some of the books you've reviewed. I've got my eye on a couple Lauren Oliver books. Her line was super long at BEA this year too!

    ReplyDelete