Monday, June 18, 2012

"The Fault In Our Stars"

I can't even begin to put into words how much this book has touched my heart. I can honestly see why it has been awarded so much credit. John Green weaved together a beautiful story about cancer, dreams, life, and most importantly love.

I loved the characters in this book, each and every one. Even down to Hazel's parents. But my favorite character of all in this entire story was Augustus Waters. Augustus was the beautiful boy who had shown Hazel love, who had made her smile and feel things she never thought she would have felt before. He had even created a little niche for himself in my heart as well. He was charming, intelligent, and loving. I wish I had more words to describe how amazing Augustus Waters was. I felt as if I had known him while reading this book, as if he were a part of my life.

Hazel Grace was a protagonist that I had connected to more than any other protagonist I had encountered. She felt raw and her view on cancer and her life were so human. She felt a pang of guilt for loving Augustus because she did not want to be the grenade in his life, she did not want to hurt him with her disease. She cared for him too much for that. But she wouldn't be able to escape Augustus because the love he felt for her was the same that she had felt for him.

Isaac and Peter were two characters on opposite spectrums but I liked both of them nonetheless. Peter was the angry, bitter, alcoholic writer of Hazel and Augustus's favorite book. His view on life was so morbid and angry but it bought this reality to the story that in the midst of disease pain is always evident whether inside or out.

Isaac was the friend in the story that I loved also, even though he wasn't around Augustus and Hazel on a daily basis in the story. I felt a true connection with the three of them, and that is something spectacular on Green's part.


The story is beautifully written, and extremely thought provoking. It explores the bounds of love and relationships and family in a way that haunts you long after you've put the book down. I can honestly say that "The Fault In Our Stars" is now officially one of my favorite books of the year. Thank you John Green for writing a beautiful story and creating a world that I got lost in for three days. I cannot wait to share it with so many others.

Chellie!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard such wonderful things about this book. I really need to give it a try. I read Green's The Abundance of Katherines a couple of years ago and really liked it. I swore I'd read more by the author but havne't had a chance yet. Thank you for sharing such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really should give it a try. I was blown away by how this book touched me. I even shed a few tears! I've decided to pick up on some other books of his, I'm sure his other books are just as good! And thank you for commenting, I'm really excited that you enjoyed. Stay tune for other reviews!

      Delete